Series: More Heat Than The Sun
Release Date: October 23, 2015
You’d have thought that Ben and Nikolas would have learnt that their romantic holidays inevitably end up as disasters. A short break on the polar ice sees them trapped in a nightmare of murder and deceit. Neither of them, however, foresees the long-term impact that endless winter has on their relationship. They return with a metaphorical darkness that threatens everything they have created together. Desperate and fearing for Nikolas’s life, Ben makes a bargain with a surprising ally. For the first time, Nikolas meets an enemy more powerful than he is. But fortunately, not as sneaky…
Pages or Words: 80,000 words
Categories: Contemporary, Gay Fiction, M/M Romance, Thriller
The view from the window hadn’t changed since the last time Ben had studied it—one grey, depressing wing of the building, the car park below, and some scraggly trees, still bare in January. Farther away, he could see the roofs of some houses, and perhaps, if he let his imagination run away with it, the distant hills of Bodmin moor. He didn’t speculate in the realms of fiction much these days. He brought his gaze back to the utilitarian architecture.
The seagull was back, perched on the sill, as it had been day after day. Sometimes, it tapped the window with its beak. Ben was never sure if the gull wanted in, or for him to open the window and join it outside, flying or falling. Freedom either way.
Secretly, Ben thought the gull was an albatross. It was so vast, so impressive, that it seemed inconceivable that it could be an ordinary gull blown in from Plymouth Sound and sitting on the grimy ledge. The first albatross perhaps to make it to England, tossed on ocean currents all the way from the Chatham Islands, lost, alone. If it was, then it was in good company. Ben had never felt so lost or so alone, and he had spent a fair proportion of his life being buffeted by metaphorical winds far stronger than those that prowled the vast oceans of the world.
Buy the book:
Meet the author: John is English, an ex-army officer, who emigrated to New Zealand and now spends his time surfing and procrastinating on YouTube.
Where to find the author:
Publisher: MLR Press
Interview with the Author:
Tour Dates & Stops:
Today we’re very lucky to be interviewing John Wiltshire author of Enduring Night.
Hi John, thank you for agreeing to this interview.
- What is the most satisfying thing about being a writer? Getting to live imaginary lives better than my own. I have my characters and their lives in my head all day and most of the night. It’s not caused a psychotic split from reality yet, but it’s getting there.
- Do your characters ever take over your writing and make the story go somewhere you hadn’t originally planned? Was I supposed to be planning any of this? Uh-huh. That rarely happens, actually, except in minor ways. I might plan something to happen but a character decides it’s too soon and that he wants more dialogue or something. But basically I control things.
- How did you celebrate the release of your book? I always promised friends I’d run up and down the road naked when my first book got published. Fortunately it was August. Fortunately I’m in NZ and August is not a time any friend would force me to hold to that promise.
- How did you come up with the idea for this book? I’d read a story by Michelle Paver called Dark Matter. It’s set in the Arctic Circle during a polar winter. It’s a brilliant and very atmospheric short story. One of my favourite films is 30 Days of Night, which is set in a similar location. Those gave me the setting for the events which occur which propel the second half of the novel—the enemy Nikolas has to face down. That part of the story was something I’d always wanted to write about, and it was time for the characters to go through it.
- Have you ever written naked? How do you think I’m writing this?
Tour Dates & Stops:
23-Oct: Mikky's World of Books, Velvet Panic, Reviews by Jessewave, Sinfully Addicted to All Male Romance
Rafflecopter Prize: E-copy of 'Enduring Night' by John Wiltshirea Rafflecopter giveaway