Virtual Book Tour ~ Wolf, Becoming by Rory Ni Coileain ~ (Interview, Excerpt + Giveaway)
Author Name: Rory Ni Coileain
Book Name: Wolf, Becoming
Release Date: February 24, 2016
Volyk learns very young that he has to hide what he is—oboroten’, shape-shifter—after his father is killed and skinned by a hunter, and the pack that takes in his pregnant mother is hostile to his kind. When Volyk is ordered to fight the pack’s beta to prove his fitness, but instead obeys his hormones and tries to mount him, he’s declared an abomination and forced to flee.
Ilya, too, hides a secret. Being young and gay in modern Russia is dangerous, and he knows it. But the truth eventually gets out, and his brothers lure him into the forest to kill him. They’re stopped by Volyk, who hides the mortally wounded Ilya in his den. The only way to heal the human is to turn him into an oboroten’.
Unfortunately, Ilya’s gentle nature is ill suited to the life of a wolf. But when Volyk’s old pack returns, seeking to take away Volyk’s magickal den, Ilya will have to embrace – truly become – the wolf Volyk made him, to save both his mate’s life and his own.
Pages or Words: 28,871 words
Categories: Erotica, Fantasy, Fiction, M/M Romance, Paranormal, Romance, Wolf Shifter
And the angel said unto them, be not afraid…
Ilya was not afraid. Enraptured, yes. Entranced. But not afraid. He had been ready for death when he closed his eyes in the wolf’s embrace. Instead, he was whole, and awake, and in the arms of a man more handsome than any angel. Volyk’s long thick hair was the brown and gray of the wolf’s pelt, his cheekbones angular, his lips full. And his eyes were the same beautiful fiery amber as the wolf’s.
Maybe he had only dreamed the wolf. Or maybe he was still dreaming. Surely he had done nothing in his life to earn the gift this moment would be if it were real.
Buy the book:
Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Rory Ni Coileain, author of WOLF, BECOMING.
Hi, Rory, thank you for agreeing to this interview.
- Talk to us about your characters in this book.What makes them unique? Ilya and Volyk are straight out of Russian folklore. Ilya’s the third son of a wealthy merchant, which is a sure recipe for disaster in Russian stories. And Volyk is a very Russian shape-shifter. In Russian stories, shape-shifters are almost always animals; they can become human only under very narrow circumstances. So writing a romance involving them was challenging – if I were to do a word count, I’m sure I’d find that Volyk is a wolf the vast majority of the time he appears in the story, and even Ilya, who starts out as human, is probably fifty-fifty.
- What was one of the most surprising things you learned in getting your book from start to publish?I’ve always had the notion that once I’ve written a story, it’s written – I don’t go back and make big changes. But WOLF, BECOMING started out as a short story for a Dreamspinner Advent Calendar, a story that people wanted to see more of. But I couldn’t just stick that story into the beginning, middle, or end of a novella – I had to open it up, take it apart, do new things with it. Change the ending. All things I didn’t think I could do before.
- Have you ever gone to a convention?If so, how was it? If not, do you think it’s something you’d like to do in the future? Oh, yes. I’ve been going to science fiction and fantasy conventions as a reader since I was sixteen, and loved every minute. Since being published, I’ve been a panelist at several of those (since what I write is as much fantasy as it is romance), and I’ve also attended a number of romance conventions (Rainbow Con and Midwestern Book Lovers Unite, two each). Which are wonderful – it’s so nice hanging out with a bunch of people who really get me, who I don’t have to explain myself to.
- Would you like to be a full-time writer?Absolutely. But given the amount of time I presently have to write, it’ll probably have to wait till I retire from the Evil Day Job.
- Design the ultimate pizza.Pizzeria Uno did it for me, years ago, with their Sea Delico. It’s a white pizza, with white cheeses and butter and garlic and shrimp and crab and scallops. Heaven.
Meet the author:
Rory Ni Coileain majored in creative writing, back when Respectable Colleges didn’t offer such a major. She had to design it herself, at a university which boasted one professor willing to teach creative writing: a British surrealist who went nuts over students writing dancing bananas in the snow, but did not take well to high fantasy. Graduating Phi Beta Kappa at the age of nineteen, she sent off her first short story to an anthology that was being assembled by an author she idolized, and received one of those rejection letters that puts therapists’ kids through college. For the next thirty years or so she found other things to do, such as going to law school, ballet dancing (at more or less the same time), volunteering as a lawyer with Gay Men’s Health Crisis, and nightclub singing, until her stories started whispering to her. Currently, she’s a lawyer and a legal editor; the proud mother of a budding filmmaker; and is busily wedding her love of myth and legend to her passion for m/m romance. She is a three-time Rainbow Award finalist.
Where to find the author:
Facebook Author Page: www.facebook.com/Soulshares/
Facebook Author Group (Rory’s Three Rs): www.facebook.com/groups/721651487924752/
Goodreads Link: www.goodreads.com/author/show/6548821.Rory_Ni_Coileain
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press
Cover Artist: Maria Fanning
Tour Dates & Stops:
Bonkers About Books, Havan Fellows, Nautical Star Books, Mikky's World of Books, MM Good Book Reviews
Man2ManTastic, Full Moon Dreaming, Elisa - My Reviews and Ramblings, Jessie G. Books, Open Skye Book Reviews
a Rafflecopter giveaway